Social Media Guidelines
Submit a Story to be Posted to Social Media by the Riding for Focus handle.
Social media Profiles
Instagram (@RidingForFocus) https://www.instagram.com/ridingforfocus/
Facebook (@TheSpecializedFoundation) https://www.facebook.com/specializedfoundation/
Twitter (@RidingForFocus) https://twitter.com/RidingforFocus
Please keep hashtags to a minimum with social media captions and use them only at the end of complete captions, not within the captions.
Important hashtags to always include:
Please do NOT use the following hashtags:
- 🚫 #pedaloverpills
- 🚫 #beatpharma
- 🚫 #ridingfocus
- 🚫 #ridingtofocus
Social Media Voice
It's important for our voice to be consistent across all social mediums. Please remember to represent The Specialized Foundation in the following ways on social channels:
- Focused on Health
- Use inclusive language (us, we, you)
- Do not speak in the first-person (Always use plural form when speaking for the Foundation, i.e. We not I)
- Be expressive when appropriate. ("Cool!', "Great News!")
- Oh, and try and mention kids on bikes whenever possible
Summary: Keep a positive, helpful, and upbeat voice. All of your captions and responses should be upbeat, optimistic, and provide a healthy message about getting more kids on bikes.
When talking about the Specialized Foundation please stick to the facts. Here are the talking points you should use on social media and your local news and media.
- The Specialized Foundation uses cycling as a tool for children to achieve academic, health, and social success. Through investments in primary scientific medical research and school-based cycling programs, our mission is to increase accessibility to cycling to aid youth in personal development and education.
- The Specialized Foundation is a registered 501c3, non-profit.
- Riding for Focus is the Specialized Foundation's school-based cycling program.
- The Specialized Foundation awards grants to schools who want to start a cycling program.
- The Riding for Focus cycling program includes the following: instructor training, student curriculum, Specialized custom Pitch bicycles, Specialized Helmets, and Specialized retailer support for regular maintenance.
Please use these facts when talking about our partnerships.
- The Riding for Focus curriculum was developed in partnership with Central Michigan University.
- The Specialized Foundation's primary research partner is the Center for Interdisciplinary Brain Sciences Research (CIBSR), Stanford University School of Medicine.
These are not the facts. Please do NOT use the following talking points.
- 🚫 The Riding for Focus program eliminates the need for ADHD medication.
- 🚫 The Specialized Foundation is focused on eliminating pharmaceutical companies.
- 🚫 The Specialized Foundation's goal is "pedal over pills."
- 🚫 The Riding for Focus program is a federal grant program.
- 🚫 The Riding for Focus program was created by Stanford University.
- 🚫 The Riding for Focus program has been proven to replace prescribed learning difference medication.
Here is the formula you use for constructing the perfect Instagram post:
Pick an excellent, non-blurry image + write a short, sweet, and positive caption (1-2 sentences) + tag @ridingforfocus/@specializedfoundation (Facebook) + add appropriate hashtags at end of caption = grade A post.
We would love to see post/photos about the following:
- Riding for Focus program updates/milestones/progress
- Kids smiling and excited to be on bikes
- Community members supporting the Riding for Focus program at your school
- Local bike retailer support
Remember, content should be kept short and sweet, with an ideal post of 1-2 sentences and a link. Readers and followers want to know what is happening, but also be aware that you can post too much. You know what they say... quality over quantity.
- 🚫 Posts should not contain defamatory, obscene, proprietary, or libelous content.
- 🚫 Posts should not contain foul or questionable language of any kind.
- 🚫 Posts should be “neutral” in nature and not engage in political issues.
- 🚫 Posts should not mention eliminating the need for ADHD medication.
- 🚫 Posts should not speak negatively about the pharmaceutical industry.
- 🚫 Posts should not use the word "free" when talking about bikes and equipment awarded by the Riding for Focus grant program.
Other nitty-gritty Formatting details
What to capitalize, what not to capitalize:
- ✅ The Specialized Foundation
- 🚫 the Specialized Foundation
- 🚫 the specialized foundation
- ✅ Riding for Focus
- 🚫 Riding For Focus
How to use time:
- ✅ The orientation will begin at 4pm.
- 🚫 The orientation will begin at 4:00 p.m.
- ✅ The orientation will last from 4–6pm.
- ✅ The reception will run from noon to 1pm.
- 🚫 The orientation will be from 4pm to 6pm.
- 🚫 The reception will run from 12pm–1pm.
How to write dates:
- Spell out dates, months, and days of the week.
- When a phrase refers to a month, day, and year, set off the year with a comma.
Do not separate the year with a comma when referring to only a month and year.
- ✅ February 14, 1987
- ✅ February 1987
- 🚫 February, 1987
Spell out days of the week.
- ✅ The event will be held Monday, February 14, 2011 from 8–9pm.